Title of position: Communications Intern
Work hours and location: Temporary 15 week assignment, estimate 10 hours per week, primary location Frankfort central office
The Council on Postsecondary Education coordinates change and improvement in Kentucky’s postsecondary education system as directed by the Kentucky Postsecondary Education Improvement Act of 1997. The Council is a statewide coordinating agency.
The Council on Postsecondary Education is seeking a part-time paid intern for the fall semester. The ideal candidate will be a talented writer pursuing either a bachelor’s or graduate degree in communications, journalism, or public relations with a preferred GPA of 3.0 or higher. During this internship, the intern will work with CPE and institutional staff and will gain a general understanding of higher education public relations, marketing and communications. The individual will have specific deliverables and a flexible work environment.
- Write news stories and online content, collaborating with subject matter experts within CPE and the higher education community. (60%)
- Assist in outreach initiatives (25%)
- Compile information and interpret analytical data (5%)
- Take pictures (5%)
- Update distribution lists (5%)
- Other duties as assigned
- Intermediate computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of AP style
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- Manage multiple projects
- Work in a team environment
- Meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills
||Education and prior work experience
- Bachelor’s or graduate student in communications, journalism or public relations with extensive coursework or experience in writing, communications or public relations.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a desire to work as part of a team and to interact with the higher education community.
- Strong follow-through skills and attention to detail.
||Compensation and Hours
- $11.25 to 12.00 per hour
- Approx. 10 hours per week for 15 weeks
Interested applicants should send a cover letter that specifically addresses the responsibilities and qualifications of the position; a resume; and writing samples; and the names, titles, and contact information for at least three professional references to:
Rebecca Bowman, Human Resources
Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education
1024 Capital Center Dr., Ste. 320
Frankfort, KY 40601
(Electronic email submission acceptable)
Opportunity will be open till filled, with the first review of submissions occurring on August 1, 2013.
The Council on Postsecondary Education is an equal opportunity employer.