Kentucky: Council on Postsecondary Education

Paying for College

  • What is the cost of going to college in Kentucky?
  • How can I pay for college?
    • Federal student aid is offered by the U.S. federal government to help students pay for college.  The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) allows students to fill out one application to determine their eligibility for all federal financial aid programs.
    • Grant programs help pay for college based on financial need/income and do not have to be repaid
    • Scholarships help pay for college based on some kind of special achievement, such as academic achievement, athletic achievement, or service. Scholarships do not need to be repaid
    • Kentucky Educational Excellence Scholarship provides state-funded, academic scholarships to Kentucky students who attend a Kentucky postsecondary institution.
    • SREB Doctoral Scholars Program provides funding for doctoral-level work of minority students.
    • Work-study programs offer the opportunity for part-time employment available for students to earn money to pay for their college education while attending college.
    • Loan programs help pay for college by allowing students to borrow money from either from a bank, the government, or a school to pay for college.  Low interest rates are available for student loans, and repayment doesn't start until you've either left school or graduated.
    • Loan forgiveness programs require students to provide services or work for a period of time after graduation in exchange for a reduction in the amount of student loan debt.
    • College tuition savings programs helps families develop a savings-plan to pay for a child to attend college.
    • Waiver programs help pay for college by eliminating certain costs for attending college for students who meet particular qualifications.
    • Military benefit programs help individuals (or their dependents) who were or are going to be in the U.S. Armed Forces pay for college.
    • National service award programs helps pay for college expenses in return for national or community service.


Last Updated 9/25/2009