Thanks to all who attended the 2019 Higher EDquity Symposium on November 14, 2019.
The 2019 Higher EDquity Symposium was held on November 14, 2019 at the University of Kentucky, Student Gatton Center. The event provided an environment for postsecondary faculty, staff students and administration to discover new strategies for improving diversity, equity and inclusion on their campuses. It featured keynote speakers, plenary and breakout sessions designed to discuss the importance of helping campus leaders produce culturally competent graduates by creating communities of belonging and engagement. Attendees left the symposium equipped with practical strategies and resources to use upon returning to campus.
Plenary Session Resources
- HigherEDquity Matters: Linking Higher Education and Equity for Our Shared Success
- WhatEDquity Requires
- Speaker: Dr. Shaun Harper, professor at the University of Southern California's Marshall School of Business and executive director of the Race and Equity Center.
- PowerPoint Slides
- Realizing the Potential and Power of Culturally Engaging Campus Environments in Equity
- Speaker: Dr. Samuel Museus, professor of education studies at the University of California San Diego and founding director of the National Institute for Transformation and Equity (NITE).
- PowerPoint Slides
- Closing Plenary: Moving from Sessions to Success
- Speaker: Dr. Dawn CheNeen Offutt, Director of Initiatives for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Council on Postsecondary Education
Breakout Session Resources
- Name Your T.U.N.E: Tuning One's Understanding about the Nuances of the Educational Value of Diversity
- In Lak Ech, Walkouts, and Spanglish: Praxis and Pedagogy of the LLCEC y Mas
- The Postsecondary Experience and Students with Disabilities
- Innovative Strategies for Building Classrooms
- Equity-Minded Leadership & Strategies for Success for Males
- Cultural Competency: Practical Strategies for Classroom Instruction
- Creating a Culturally Competent Workforce: The BCTC Story
- Students Say the Darndest Things! (no slides available)
- Creating Affirming Spaces for Students to Belong and Thrive
- Exploring the Impact of Othermothering in Student Affairs
- Language Matters: How Microagressions Prevent Authentic Conversation and Relationship Building
- Creating LGBTQ Inclusive Campus Communities
- Beyond Inclusion: Pedagogy, Imagination, and the Promise of Equity
- The Opportunity Deficit: 15K-Jefferson-Rise Together Initiative
- Courageous Conversations: Why My Diversity is Not Enough
Follow us on Twitter at #kyhigheredquity.