Title of Position: Director, Kentucky Student Success Network
Type of Position: Full-time
Starting Date: Negotiable
Location: Frankfort, KY; may require some limited travel
Compensation: Competitive salary and state benefits
The Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE) seeks an experienced and energetic leader to lead innovations in student success strategies. The successful candidate will not only have a thorough understanding of the policy behind student success initiatives, but will know how to engage institutional representatives to challenge traditional assumptions and bring creativity to strategy development and implementation.
The CPE coordinates change and improvement in Kentucky’s postsecondary education system as directed by the Kentucky Postsecondary Education Improvement Act of 1997 and through the implementation of its 2016-2021 Strategic Agenda: Stronger by Degrees. Dr. Aaron Thompson became the fourth president of the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education on November 1, 2018. His career is a testament to the transformative power of higher education. Under his leadership, CPE will reimagine and disrupt Kentucky’s public higher education system to better serve our students, workforce and economy.
CPE’s Academic Affairs unit is charged with applying that lens of reimagining and disruption to its areas responsibilities, which include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Definition of what it means to receive a quality education; and
- Coordination of numerous statewide initiatives and monitoring of campus initiatives focus on student success; and
- Convening stakeholders to identify issues and potential solutions.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of the Kentucky Student Success Network shall:
- Conduct research and identify projects and initiatives in support of statewide postsecondary student success goals.
- Work with institutions to identify and address issues of concern as it relates to student success.
- Create and facilitate network development among various institutional representatives to identify high impact practices for implementation or expansion.
- Develop a two-year action plan to foster student success.
The Director of the Kentucky Student Success Network reports to the Vice President of Academic Affairs and Student Success.
Required Education and Experience
Master’s degree, preferably in higher education, public administration, or public policy and 10 years of experience in higher education or public policy. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in national, regional, or state-level policy organization.
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge of national, state, and institutional postsecondary initiatives that foster student success.
- Understanding of current trends in higher education.
- Experience in policy research and program evaluation.
- Experience in program management.
- Cultural competence and skill in leading group discussion and change initiatives.
- Researching, writing, and presenting on higher education topics.
- Working both independently and in teams.
- Developing good working relationships with campus personnel to identify and solve common problems by using evidence-based practices and understanding problems and solutions that may be unique to individual campuses.
- Conduct data analysis in order to make informed policy decisions.
- Work with national postsecondary, economic/workforce organizations and can utilize those connections to understand best practices in policy development.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Excellent meeting facilitation skills.
Individuals are encouraged to submit materials for full consideration. The start date is negotiable. The position is based in Frankfort and may require some occasional limited travel for training purposes. Participation in TIAA in lieu of the Kentucky State retirement system(s) is acceptable.
Interested applicants should send a letter of application specifically addressing the responsibilities and qualifications of the position, a resume, and the names, titles, and contact information (phone and email) for a least three references to:
Travis Powell, Vice President and General Counsel
Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education
1024 Capital Center Drive Suite 320
Frankfort, KY 40601
The Council on Postsecondary Education is an equal opportunity employer.