Council on Postsecondary Education
GEAR UP Kentucky hosts 300 at 2-day institute on building a college-going culture
About 300 college access professionals from across the state will participate in GEAR UP Kentucky’s 2012 Alliance Institute for a College-Going Culture being held today and tomorrow at the Marriott Louisville Downtown.
The program will feature research on college access and college readiness to help guide programs toward developing the policies and practices that intentionally preserve a college-going culture. The program will encourage conversations at two levels: issues and strategies at the national and state level to promote college readiness and success, and applications of strategies that promote college readiness.
Confirmed speakers include:
- William Tierney, Wilbur-Kieffer Professor of Higher Education and Director, Center for Higher Education Policy Analysis, University of Southern California
- Hon. Jerry Abramson, Lieutenant Governor, Commonwealth of Kentucky
- Terry Holliday, Commissioner of Education, Commonwealth of Kentucky
- Robert King, President, Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education
- Nathan Monell, Executive Director, National Council for Community and Education Partnerships
- Arnold Mitchem, President, Council for Opportunity in Education
- James Applegate, Vice President for Program Development, Lumina Foundation
GEAR UP Kentucky is a six-year grant funded by the U.S. Department of Education (2011-2017). GEAR UP stands for Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs. The programs serve 29 middle schools and their corresponding high schools in 22 Kentucky counties.
Conference agenda and materials are available at: http://gearup.councilonpostsecondaryeducation.org/institute/.
We believe in the transformative power of postsecondary education. Stronger by Degrees, the new strategic agenda for Kentucky’s colleges and universities and adult basic education, is powering a stronger Kentucky economy and improving the lives of Kentuckians. To learn more about Stronger by Degrees, visit http://cpe.ky.gov/strongerbydegrees.
Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/CPENews.