Go to Kentucky.gov home page
Kentucky: Council on Postsecondary Education

Council on Postsecondary Education
COUNCIL APPROVES STATEWIDE DIVERSITY POLICY AND PRESIDENT'S WORK PLAN

Press Release Date:  Monday, September 13, 2010  
Contact Information:  Sue Patrick
502-573-1555
Cell: 502-330-6596
Sue.Patrick@ky.gov
 


The Council on Postsecondary Education approved the 2011-15 statewide diversity policy and framework for institutional diversity plan development at its meeting Sunday at Northern Kentucky University. The Committee on Equal Opportunities approved the policy at its meeting last month and sent the recommendation to the Council.

“This policy is extremely important to our mission to prepare all students for life and work in an increasingly diverse society,” stated Council President Bob King. “The policy was created through a collaborative effort among campus representatives, Council staff and board members, and is being unanimously recommended for adoption by the CEO.”

The diversity policy allows the commonwealth to take a new approach to the challenge of making the postsecondary system more successful and appealing to more people from varying backgrounds and ethnicities. The long-term need for the diversity policy will be reviewed in 2015.

The next step calls for the institutions to develop campus-based plans. Draft plans are due to Council staff for review in mid-March 2011.

The Council also approved a plan of work for King. The plan provides a clear set of policy priorities and tasks that will guide the work of King and the Council staff over the coming year. The Council will hear periodic reports on implementation throughout the year.

In financial business, the Council approved a 2010-11 budget for agency operations. The budget includes efficiency cuts of 1.5 percent, a reduction of $100,000 in funding for nonmerit employees, and reductions relating to the required six furlough days for all state employees. Additionally, General Fund reductions included a 1.5 percent cut to restricted fund expenditures.

While the Council’s General Fund appropriation is $50.8 million, only 12 percent or $6 million, pays for Council staff and statewide coordination. The other 88 percent goes to statewide educational programs and services traditionally channeled through the Council from an accounting and budgetary perspective.

In other business, the Council:

  • HEARD an annual report presentation from Dr. Gary Cox, president of the Association of Independent Kentucky Colleges and Universities. The report highlighted the role the private colleges play in meeting the state’s postsecondary education goals, including specific innovations and collaborations.
  • APPROVED a recommendation, contingent on favorable action by the Kentucky State University Board of Regents at its Oct. 22 meeting, for Kentucky State University to purchase a research boat to be used as a floating laboratory for the land grant program. The U.S. Department of Agriculture will pay the project cost of $320,000.
  • HEARD a report on a college readiness initiative for Kentucky Adult Education. KYAE has embraced the state’s new common core standards work, and KYAE programs will be transitioning to standards-based instruction.
  • APPROVED a 2011 meeting calendar which calls for meetings to be held during the week on Thursday and Friday with the exception of the April meeting scheduled Wednesday and Thursday. Some of the meetings will be held at campuses. The dates include Feb. 3-4, April 27-28, June 9-10, Sept. 22-23 and Nov. 3-4.
  • APPOINTED Council members Dennis Jackson and Aaron Price to the Committee on Equal Opportunities.

The next meeting of the Council will be held Nov. 4-5 at Eastern Kentucky University.

Meeting materials are available online at http://www.cpe.ky.gov/about/cpe/meetings/2010/Sept+2010+CPE+Mtg+Agenda.htm.



 

Last Updated 9/13/2010
Privacy | Security | Disclaimer | Accessibility Statement