Message from CPE President Aaron Thompson
Dear Friends and Colleagues:
In light of the threat from the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), now a national emergency, many of Kentucky’s colleges and universities have temporarily suspended classes, moved instruction online, or have closed or are considering closure for the remainder of the semester. CPE is operating on a regular basis, but staff are working from home until further notice.
These decisions, though difficult, were necessary to protect the health and safety of our students, staff, their families, and our most vulnerable populations. Our number one priority at this time is keeping people safe and mitigating the spread of this virus.
We realize that many students face food insecurity and may not have a place to stay, so campus leaders are working to address these issues with students. Faculty are quickly being trained to deliver classes remotely, and resources are being made available to support high-quality instruction.
As you know, the situation changes by the hour and we’re constantly engaging campus and state government leaders to discuss next steps. I encourage you to tune in to the Governor’s daily press conference for the most up-to-date information, and call Kentucky’s COVID-19 hotline at 800-722-5725 with questions and concerns..
This pandemic is different from anything we’ve seen before. I know many of you are alarmed or uncertain. However, I feel confident we can get through this if we take precautions, work together and help one another. I know our higher education family will rise to this challenge and continue to provide guidance and support to local communities with skill and compassion.
How our colleges and universities are handling the situation
- Kentucky Community and Technical Colleges
- Eastern Kentucky University
- Kentucky State University
- Morehead State University
- Murray State University
- Northern Kentucky University
- University of Kentucky
- University of Louisville
- Western Kentucky University
- Association of Independent Kentucky Colleges and Universities
Resources for online learning
Our coverage of Kentucky higher ed developments
Other useful resources
- Governor Beshear's YouTube channel to view the daily press conference
- Kentucky's COVID-19 website
- Governor Beshear's Twitter page for updates, press conference announcements and more
- Center for Disease Control's (CDC) Situation Summary
- The World Health Organization's basic protective measures
- How higher education in other states is handling the COVID-19 crisis
- American College Health Association guidelines for college health
staff and campus administrators
- Information and resources for K-12 schools and school personnel