New Academic Program Approval and Policies
The Council is the approving body for academic programs at Kentucky's public institutions. To view documentation associated with the Council's program approvals, go to the Council's meeting records archive.
Before a proposal is submitted for approval to the CPE, an institution should follow its internal processes and gain approval from its local governing board. Details of the policy and process can be found in the documents linked below.
Please note that:
- An institution may not submit a proposal to the Council unless it has achieved automatic eligibility status or has obtained the appropriate waiver under 13 KAR 2:060.
- An institution may not submit a proposal unless it has submitted all academic program reviews for the preceding academic year, per the Review of Existing Academic Programs Policy.
- Institutions should recommend the Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP) code of the proposed program after careful consideration. CPE will review the recommendation and finalize the CIP code with the requesting institution.
- After a program is approved by the Council, an institution has up to three years to implement the program. If the program has not been implemented within this timeframe, it must undergo the new program approval process.
- New Academic Program Policy
- New Academic Program Policy Glossary
- Guidelines for New Extended Campus Programs
Program Approval System
- Kentucky Postsecondary Education Data System
- New Academic Program Approval Form
- Program Approval Expense and Revenue Worksheet
- Program Approval Course Template
- Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP) Resource
- CPE STEM+H CIP Code List
- Guidance for Quality and Assessment of Student Learning
To view a catalog of all of Kentucky's academic programs, view the Academic Program Inventory.
Last Updated: 7/13/2022