Title of Position: Senior Associate, Financial Planning and Performance
Period: Full-time state government non-merit position
Starting Date: Open until filled, First review of applications--March 9, 2020
Location: Frankfort, KY; may require some limited travel
Compensation: Competitive salary and state benefits
The Council on Postsecondary Education coordinates change and improvement in Kentucky’s postsecondary education system as directed by the Kentucky Postsecondary Education Improvement Act of 1997. The Council is a statewide coordinating agency.
As an integral member of the Council’s Budget and Finance Unit, the Senior Associate provides budgetary, financial, and accounting support to the Director of Budget and Finance, the Director of Administrative Services, the Vice President for Finance and Administration, and other Council personnel. The occupant of this position coordinates development of the Council’s biennial budget capital request and the agency’s six-year capital plan and is responsible for the timely processing of interim capital requests. The Senior Associate is also responsible for assisting the Director of Budget and Finance in developing the agency’s biennial budget request, monitoring and reporting on agency budget related matters, coordinating the renewal of tuition reciprocity agreements, and compiling data and creating reports to inform policymakers and the public.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assume a leadership role in the development of the Council’s agency and postsecondary institution biennial capital projects recommendations.
- Coordinate the review, development, and application of capital funding strategies for use in the biennial budget request process.
- Develop a thorough working knowledge of state statutes, regulations, and policies governing implementation and administration of postsecondary capital projects and be prepared to provide accurate interpretations of such provisions to senior staff and Council members.
- Review and analyze interim postsecondary institution capital project requests and prepare staff recommendations for review and action by the Council.
- Coordinate development of the agency’s six-year capital plan and system wide capital planning priorities.
- Monitor and review activities of the Capital Projects and Bond Oversight Committee and
- Capital Planning Advisory Board and modify capital project and energy polices as needed.
- Assist the Director of Budget and Finance to develop the biennial budget request for the agency, working with appropriate internal and external stakeholders to prepare budget recommendations for various programs.
- Responsible for entering the approved agency biennial budget request into the Kentucky Budgeting System (KBUD) and assisting postsecondary institution staff in entering their budgets into KBUD.
- Work with the Director of Budget and Finance to prepare and present periodic budget reports on revenue and expenditures by program to senior staff, Council members, and other stakeholders.
- Maintain a schedule of quarterly allotments by program for all agency funds and prepare related documents in KBUD, including any required modifications.
- Assist the Director of Administrative Services with tracking and reporting various accounts (such as trust funds and funding programs) and preparing for periodic budget meetings.
- Assist the Director of Administrative Services with year-end close out, ensuring that all available general and grant funds are expended before they lapse, and preparing work papers requested by external auditors to complete the annual agency audit.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with key state budget personnel.
- Respond to external and internal data requests on a variety of budget and finance related matters.
Data Collection and Analysis
- Assume a leadership role in collecting, compiling, and analyzing budget and finance data from the postsecondary institutions to inform senior staff, Council members, and state policymakers. Monitor the collection of FD reports and annual budgets and audited financial statements from the institutions.
- Coordinate the completion of budget and finance related surveys and information requests.
- Conduct research and analyses as requested to provide a better understanding of the financial health of CPE and the institutions.
- Collect, compile, and analyze policy relevant data used in tuition setting and postsecondary institution budget development processes.
- Develop and maintain relationships with personnel in neighboring states to keep reciprocity agreements in effect.
- Coordinate the exchange of data between Kentucky and neighboring states and keep all stakeholders to the reciprocity agreements apprised of possible changes.
- Assume a leadership role in periodic negotiations of reciprocity agreements, including agreements between Kentucky and each of the following states: Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, and Tennessee.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Budget and Finance or the Vice President for Finance and Administrative Services.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Political Science, or related field.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- At least three to five years of experience in finance, accounting, or budgeting in a state agency or at a college or university,
- Master’s degree in Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration, Public Policy, or related field.
- Good oral communication and presentation skills.
Experience with federal state, or postsecondary institution policy in the areas of budgeting, tuition and fee setting, performance funding, or student financial aid.
Interested applicants should send a letter of application specifically addressing the responsibilities and qualifications of the position, a resume, and the names, titles, and contact information for at least three professional references to:
Rae Smith, Human Resources
Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education
1024 Capital Center Dr., Ste. 320
Frankfort, KY 40601
The Council on Postsecondary Education is an equal opportunity employer.