CPE leadership program empowering minority faculty and staff
April 16, 2021
The Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education announced today that 19 professionals from across the state will join the Academic Leadership Development Institute (ALDI) this year to prepare for influential roles in higher education.
Our participants are already leading transformational efforts, and we are excited to invest in their future. - Travis Powell, CPE vice president and general counsel
Coordinated by the Council, ALDI provides a series of interactive sessions and small group seminars led by faculty and administrators from across Kentucky and other states. The goal is to create a learning community of early career, underrepresented minority faculty and staff who are on track for professional advancement.
"Our participants are already leading transformational efforts, and we are excited to invest in their future," said Travis Powell, vice president and general counsel at CPE. "Equity and inclusion in the campus workforce is fundamental to our goals in higher education, and we want to empower these leaders with as much knowledge and experience possible to drive institutional success."
CPE established ALDI in 2019 after receiving a $50,000 grant from the Lumina Foundation, which targeted efforts to close outcome gaps in postsecondary education.
This year's group includes seven professionals from Kentucky's four-year institutions and 12 from institutions in the Kentucky Community and Technical College System. They were nominated for the yearlong program based on their leadership ability, interest in advancement and dedication to higher education.
Participants for 2021 include:
- Gail Barbour, Southcentral Kentucky Community and Technical College
- Dr. Brigitte Burpo, University of Louisville
- Ethan Coats , Bluegrass Community and Technical College
- Orlando Currie, Ashland Community and Technical College
- Dr. Oluwabunmi Dada, Murray State University
- Aquesha Daniels, J.D., Western Kentucky University
- Courtney Duvall, Owensboro Community and Technical College
- Dr. Roosevelt Escalante, Morehead State University
- Dr. Natalie Gibson, Kentucky Community and Technical College System
- Dr. Erin Gilliam, Kentucky State University
- Dr. José Juan Gómez-Becerra, Eastern Kentucky University
- Brittney Hernandez-Stevenson, Madisonville Community College
- Chardae Kelly, Henderson Community College
- Jerisia Lamons, Elizabethtown Community and Technical College
- Eduardo Nazario, Somerset Community College
- Deri Ross Pryor, Maysville Community and Technical College
- Chris Russey, Gateway Community and Technical College
- Dr. Andrew Smith, University of Kentucky
- Tina Terry, Big Sandy Community and Technical College
Bios and photos of the ALDI membership can be accessed on the Council's website at http://cpe.ky.gov/ourwork/aldi.html.
Last Updated: 7/20/2021