Title of Position: Intern, Video Specialist
Period: Part-Time (maximum 20 hours weekly)
Starting Date: Negotiable
End Date: Negotiable
Location: Frankfort, KY; may require some travel
Compensation: Dependent upon qualifications
The Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE) seeks a motivated student intern to assist the Communications unit. The intern will conceive and develop film and video content as part of the Council’s larger content development strategies to drive traffic across digital, social and mobile platforms.
The Council on Postsecondary Education coordinates change and improvement in Kentucky’s postsecondary education system as directed by the Kentucky Postsecondary Education Improvement Act of 1997 and through the implementation of its 2016-2021 Strategic Agenda: Stronger by Degrees. Dr. Aaron Thompson became the fourth president of the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education on November 1, 2018. His career is a testament to the transformative power of higher education. Under his leadership, CPE will reimagine and disrupt Kentucky’s public higher education system to better serve our students, workforce and economy.
The Video Specialist Intern will work directly with the Director of Communications to assist in carrying out the many responsibilities of CPE’s Communications unit. Those responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Work independently, as well as part of the Communications unit, to establish project deliverables.
- Develop a series of stories that promote the value of higher education.
- Attend meetings at the Council offices, or by conference call, to offer expertise in development and production of project requests.
- Scout shoot locations; assess possible obstacles in filming; and provide solutions or alternatives.
- Communicate clearly the plan for projects through scripts and storyboards.
- Observe brand standards and ensure consistency and relevancy to production.
- Assist Communications staff in setting up an on-site video studio using existing equipment; make recommendations for future purchases.
- Manage video library on both YouTube and on the Council’s file server.
- Evaluate analytics and make recommendations.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or in the senior year of a Bachelor’s program of study in the communication field of convergent media, strategic communications, film, or other related field.
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite, Adobe Premiere and Camtasia.
- Excellent storytelling, written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience creating graphics for video usage.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Project management and scheduling skills; ability to see a project through to completion.
- Ability to demonstrate proficiency in high-quality production and attention to detail.
- Ability to integrate existing branding into projects, whether visually, aurally or through messaging.
- Ability to drive/travel to shoot sites, with possible overnight stays; must have access to reliable transportation; must have a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to lift and load video equipment weighing 25 lbs. or less.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Graduate degree or graduate coursework in convergent media, strategic communications, film or other related field.
- Working knowledge of Kentucky higher education.
This is a paid internship. Individuals are encouraged to submit materials for full consideration. The start date is negotiable. The position is based in Frankfort and may require some occasional limited travel.
Interested applicants should send a letter of application specifically addressing the responsibilities and qualifications of the position, a resume, and the names, titles, and contact information (phone and email) for a least three references to:
Sue Patrick, Executive Director of Communications and Marketing
Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education
1024 Capital Center Drive Suite 320
Frankfort, KY 40601
The Council on Postsecondary Education is an equal opportunity employer.