Secondary Navigation

Education Resources for Military Students

Applying to the Veterans Administration

You will need to apply to the VA to use your educational benefits.

If you are unsure of which benefit you qualify or want to decide between the Post 9/11 and Montgomery GI Bill, visit the VA’s website. When you are ready to apply, complete the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP):

To mail in your application, you may print it out and send it to the following address:

VA Regional Office
P.O. Box 66830
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830

After you complete your online application, print and mail in your online signature page along with a copy of your DD-214 to the address listed above. If you need a copy of your DD-214, contact eVetRecs. 

It will take approximately 8 to 12 weeks for the Department of Veterans Affairs to process the application for benefits. Once the application is finalized, the student will receive a CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY verifying the amount of benefits and months of entitlement available. The VA Certifying Official will need a copy for your file.

You should apply for your benefits no later than the date provided below to allow the Department of Veteran Affairs ample time to process your application for benefits.  Applying by this date does not guarantee that your application will be processed before the semester begins.


July 1st


November 1st


March 1st

Active Duty

If you apply for benefits while on active duty, you must submit a copy of your DD 214 to the Department of Veteran Affairs Regional Processing Office upon separation from active duty to receive the appropriate amount of education benefits.


If you are applying for G I Bill education benefits and you have been separated for less than 6 months, you will need to supply your DD 214 along with your application for benefits.


Eligible active duty members, reservists and veterans with kicker contracts must submit a copy of the contracts to the VA along with the application for benefits.

Transfer Students

Chapter 33 veterans transferring from another school must complete a Change of Place of Training (22-1995) online. Dependents transferring from another institution using the Post 9/11 G I Bill must fill out a Change of Place of Training (22-5495) online.

Tuition Payment

Universities typically require tuition to be paid at the time of registration. Due to extended processing time of the VA, you may not be able to rely on your education benefits to cover the initial tuition payment.  It may be necessary to seek alternate initial payment plan. 

Approved Degree Programs

The Department of Veteran Affairs will only pay education benefits for courses that apply towards an approved major or degree program.  It is the responsibility of the veteran/dependent to make sure courses he/she is enrolled in are approved as general education requirements. Campus academic advisors or military or veterans affairs staff should be able to help guide you through appropriate course selection.

Change of Address

It is the responsibility of the veteran/dependent to keep the Department of Veteran Affairs and the certifying official informed of your current address.  To update your address, go to (Ask a question/find an answer) and submit the information.

Direct Deposit 

To establish or change direct deposit information, contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-877-838-2778 IMMEDIATELY.  Failure to contact the VA with changes will delay your payments.

Teacher Certification

If you are pursuing teacher certification, please submit a listing of the courses required for certification.  Courses not on the list will not be certified for VA benefits.






12 hrs+

 Full Time

9 hrs+

Full Time

9 hrs-11 hrs

¾ time

6 hrs-8 hrs

¾ time

6 hrs-8 hrs

 ½ time

4 hrs-5 hrs

 ½ time

1 hr-5 hrs

 Less than ½ time

3 hrs

More than ¼ but less than ½ time

Please contact the Veterans Affairs Representative regarding summer enrollment status.

Unauthorized Repeats

The Department of Veteran Affairs will only pay for a repeated course when the initial grade is an “EF”.  A grade of “D” or higher is considered a satisfactory grade by the Department of Veteran Affairs and will not be paid if the course is repeated. 



Last Updated 10/10/2018