Director, Counselor Academy
Application Due Date: Open until filled; however, preference given to applications received before November 16, 2021.
Position: Full-time, Federally Funded Time-Limited
Location: In-person position in Frankfort, KY, with option for limited remote work with approval of supervisor
Travel: This position will require travel within Kentucky
Compensation: Competitive salary and state benefits
The Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE) invites applications for the position of Director for its Counselor Academy. CPE is responsible for the coordination of a multi-sector, statewide higher education enterprise comprising Kentucky’s public universities and community and technical colleges serving nearly 250,000 students. In addition, the CPE licenses private for-profit and nonprofit colleges and universities operating in the state. The Counselor Academy Director will work directly with CPE’s P-12 Policies and Programs unit.
The purpose of the Counselor Academy is to provide school counselors and Family Resource and Youth Services Center (FRYSC) coordinators with readily available training and tools including the following:
- Face-to-face professional learning meetings every two months as part of a geographical cohort/series
- Monthly virtual cohort professional learning meetings/series
- Face-to-face mentoring and support in schools, FRYSCs and institutions of higher education
- Development and promotion of a school counselor’s college and career counseling toolkit
- Development and promotion of online guidance and sample counseling plans
The Counselor Academy is funded by GEER II funds through September 2023.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the liaison between staff at the CPE and Kentucky College Campus Compact (KYCC).
- Serve as a programmatic point-of-contact for full time AmeriCorps members.
- Participate in weekly meetings, and others as needed, with the KYCC and CPE project manager.
- Develop training resources and a scope of deliverables for the professional learning series.
- Convene AmeriCorps members face-to-face every month to train/prepare for the face-to-face geographically based meetings, trainings and school visits (led by AmeriCorps members based on the areas of the regional cooperatives).
- Oversee and coordinate efforts of AmeriCorps team to recruit professional learning participants, marketing of resources and advising toolkit, and webpage development.
- Attend face-to-face professional learning meetings throughout the state.
- Facilitate professional learning design team workgroups for both face-to-face and virtual professional learning meetings.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree preferred.
- At least five years of experience in counseling or academic advising.
- Knowledge of postsecondary student success research and best practices.
- Well-rounded interpersonal skill set, with a focus on strong collaboration and communications skills.
Interested applicants should send a letter of application specifically addressing the responsibilities and qualifications of the position, a resume, and the names, titles, and contact information for at least three professional references to:
Rae Smith, Human Resource
Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education
100 Airport Road, Second Floor
Frankfort, KY 40601
Last Updated: 11/3/2021