Senior Director of Teaching and Learning
Preferred Application Date: October 11, 2023
Location: Frankfort, KY, with option for limited telecommuting
Travel: May require national or statewide travel regularly, may require site visits to colleges/universities, schools, and other state agencies.
Compensation: $86,000 - $91,000
About the Council on Postsecondary Education
The Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE) is Kentucky’s coordinating body for postsecondary education and is committed to strengthening the commonwealth’s workforce, economy, and quality of life through the continuous improvement and efficient operation of a high-quality, diverse, and accessible system of postsecondary education.
Function of the Position
The Council is the approving body for academic programs at Kentucky’s public institutions. This position is responsible for leading the development of policies and initiatives to enhance academic quality and student success in the postsecondary education system.
This position evaluates new academic programs, reviews existing academic programs, and leads policy revisions and implementation related to academic program approval and program review.
This role promotes the scholarship of teaching and learning, leads communities of practice, coordinates faculty development opportunities, and helps lead statewide curriculum meetings between community and technical college faculty and university faculty.
The position reports directly to the Vice President of Academic Excellence and Student Success.
Duties Related to Academic Programming:
- Advise vice president on program approval and program review policy development and implementation.
- Lead academic program approval process (New Academic Program Approval and Policies - Ky. Council on Postsecondary Education)
- Review proposed degree programs from community and technical colleges and make recommendations to Vice President.
- Review proposed degree programs from public universities and make recommendations to Vice President.
- Lead the statewide review of existing programs process (Academic Program Review - Ky. Council on Postsecondary Education).
- Review and evaluate annual reports from the Kentucky Community and Technical College System (KCTCS) and from each public university and make recommendations to the Vice President.
Duties Related to Teaching and Learning:
- Create and lead communities of practice. Possible audiences include faculty, teaching and learning center directors, and online learning coordinators.
- Coordinate faculty development opportunities. Possible topics include inclusive pedagogy, curriculum mapping, and artificial intelligence.
- Lead statewide efforts to articulate competencies related to the 10 essential skills of the Kentucky Graduate Profile (Kentucky Graduate Profile - Ky. Council on Postsecondary Education)
- Oversee state policy on assessment of general education programs.
- Help design and lead statewide curriculum meetings that bring KCTCS and university faculty together to design transfer degree pathways.
- Monitor legislation and legislative activities related to academic affairs and student success.
- Lead research efforts and policy development related to academic quality.
- Work with Diversity, Equity and Inclusion unit to identify and implement initiatives designed to close achievement gaps.
- Work with P-12 unit and GEAR UP to help design and implement efforts to facilitate transition from high school to postsecondary.
- Work with Kentucky Student Success Collaborative to help design and implement initiatives related to student success.
- Work with the Kentucky Virtual Library and its Affordable Learning Initiative (https://kyvl.org/affordablelearningky/about).
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree or above. Experience in teaching at the collegiate level is preferred.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in leadership at a postsecondary institution or an education-related organization.
- Knowledge of academic programming and planning.
- Knowledge of academic development and ability to design, execute, and evaluate strategies to promote quality postsecondary teaching and learning.
- Well-rounded interpersonal skill set, with the presence and capacity to build relations and facilitate projects with postsecondary institutions.
- Skill in project management.
Interested applicants should submit a letter of application specifically addressing the responsibilities and qualifications of the position, a resume, and the names, titles, and contact information for at least three professional references to https://forms.clickup.com/36079846/f/12d276-10491/A8FSA1NXCQGLKBXOQN
or email to
Last Updated: 9/29/2023