Student Voice Research Fellow
Position: Internship, minimum of one semester. Eight positions available.
Location: Remote work with occasional travel to Council’s Frankfort office and postsecondary institutions.
Travel: Some in-state travel.
Compensation: $15/hr., not to exceed 80 hrs. in a semester.
Priority deadline for application: September 1 for Fall 2022, December 1 for Spring 2023, May 1 for Summer 2023.
About the Council
The Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE) is Kentucky’s higher education coordinating agency committed to strengthening our workforce, economy, and quality of life. We do this by guiding the continuous improvement and efficient operation of a high-quality, diverse, and accessible system of postsecondary education.
This paid internship opportunity will provide participants experience working with the Kentucky Student Success Collaborative (KYSSC) and partnering public postsecondary institutions to elevate the student voice in student success initiatives that center equity, seek to improve the student transfer experience, and strengthen the student advising experience.
- Develop an understanding of public service and government, and the importance of including the student voice in higher education student success initiatives.
- Interact with agency policy and campus partners.
- Gain experience working opportunity to work on evaluation and research projects.
- Strengthen the impact of the Collaborative’s work.
- Interact with peers across the state to collect qualitative data;
- Analysis and present unique large-scale qualitative data;
- Interact with CPE staff and campus partners;
- Present and plan initiatives amplifying student voice.
Duties and Responsibilities
This position will coordinate initiatives to record the voice of 2-year and 4-year students around common experiences throughout postsecondary education institutions in Kentucky:
- Conducting interviews and focus groups of students to inform KYSSC strategy supporting equity, transfer, and advising.
- Transcribing and analyzing qualitative data from student interviews and focus groups.
- Disseminating short surveys to broader groups of students to add to data collection.
- Assisting KYSSC leadership in writing blog stories centered on equity, transfer, and advising initiatives.
- Compiling student quotes and photos for social media campaigns.
- Attending biweekly meetings with student success team.
- Providing feedback to student focus groups as appropriate.
- Current student in postsecondary education with at least one semester in program completed.
- Understanding of issues facing diverse students
- Exceptional verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with various stakeholders.
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Expressed interest in improving the student experience.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and teleconferencing applications such as Zoom and Microsoft Teams.
- Basic understanding of social media, YouTube, and blogs.
Interested applicants should submit the following application materials in a single email to CPE.HR@ky.gov with the subject line, “Response to Student Voice Internship”:
- A cover letter describing your interest in the position, how you satisfy the desired qualification and how the position can help with your bachelor’s or graduate program and your future career.
- A resume.
- One reference with name, job title, email, and phone number included.
Follow up interviews will be conducted for selected applicants by phone and ZOOM.
Last Updated: 8/12/2022